In the classic song “Love and Marriage,” Frank Sinatra so poetically sang “Love and marriage, love and marriage. It’s an institute you can’t disparage.” Marriage IS an institution full of legal and financial decisions. Especially when you’re buying or selling a property. And ESPECIALLY during a divorce. So I decided to talk to an expert on that.
Rob Frazer is a family law attorney with Noelke, Maples, St. Leger & Bryant, LLP who has helped many couples in Austin with family law topics. A native of Austin, Rob comes from a family of lawyers.
Today on the podcast, Rob and I sit down to talk about what you need to know about buying or selling property when you’re going through a divorce. Also, if you’re married, what should you know about community property and what it means for your family? What steps should you take to protect your investments if your marriage comes to an end?
Of course no one starts a marriage intending to divorce. Even if you’re not getting a divorce, there’s so much info you can take away to make sure your property is properly set up in your marriage.
In this episode, we cover:
- The implications of community property laws and how this affects you in case of a divorce.
- How to handle the home you own during your divorce proceedings.
- What to do when you need to sell your home to assist with your divorce proceedings.
- Should you get a prenup (prenuptial agreement)? What is the purpose of it?
- What topics should a couple discuss before getting married to prevent real estate surprises?
- What you can learn from Tony Soprano’s divorce on the hit show Sopranos. (seriously!)
To talk to Rob and find out how he can help you with your family law needs, visit his website here.
(This podcast should not be considered a recommendation for service. For my full list recommended service providers in the Austin area, click here.)