The number of things to do in Austin can be overwhelming, in a good way! Whether you’re new to town, just visiting, or have been here for years, it never hurts to hear about some new places you may not have tried.
- Rainey Street (78701) located downtown on Lady Bird Lake. Rainey Street is two blocks of houses that have been converted into bars and restaurants. Banger’s and Icenhauers have live music on Sunday afternoons. Several of the bars, including Half Step, Icenhauer’s and Lucilles have outdoor areas, great cocktails, and are dog friendly. Craft Pride and Banger’s are great stops for beer.
- Emmer and Rye (78701) has been voted by several publications the best restaurant in Austin and one of the best in the country. It is an upscale restaurant focusing on rare flours and grains (like emmer flour, which I had never heard of) and they make all of their pastas and breads in house. They also have an excellent wine list.
- Maudie’s (multiple locations) a great spot for Tex Mex and their caldo (a version of tortilla soup) is a meal in and of itself for $4.
- The White Horse (78702) an old-time Austin bar on the east side with two step lessons on weekends and live bands almost every night. It’s no frills, it’s almost dive-y, but an old Austin classic.
- Alamo Draft House (multiple locations) always a great spot for dinner and a movie. I’m sure I’m not the first to suggest this one.
- Micklethwait (78702) for awesome barbecue at lunch and Lambert’s for awesome barbecue at dinner.
- Musashino (78705) for really high quality fish and fantastic nigiri.
- Food Truck Parks (78704) If you want to check out the food truck scene, The Picnic on Barton Springs Road has several options including Chi’Lantro and The Mighty Cone (my personal favorites). Just a few minutes down the road, Trailer Park Eatery on South First features Torchy’s Tacos and the underrated Concious Cravings, a vegan food truck that I love despite not being vegan.
- Hula Hut (78703) the food is just okay, but the large bar overlooking the lake is awesome on a nice day.
- Hopdoddy (multiple locations) In my humble opinion, Hopdoddy is the best burger in town.
What’s your favorite restaurant in Austin? Let me know! Text me at 973.432.7026 or email me at email@example.com